Harold “Hal” Morlan II
Senior Trial Counsel
Harold E. “Hal” Morlan II, is a civil trial lawyer with over 40 years of experience litigating a wide range of complex civil litigation matters, and trying jury and non-jury cases in state and federal courts throughout Florida. Hal has acted as trial counsel for both individual and corporate clients. Hal often assists clients in risk management and loss-shifting strategies. Hal is intensely focused on innovating pragmatic, cost-effective, customized solutions to clients’ complex legal challenges.
Areas of Practice
- Employment Law
- Federal Trial Practice
- Insurance Law
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability Law
- Professional Malpractice Law
- Property (Ad Valorem) Taxes
- Trade Secrets
- Surety Law
- Toxic Torts / Asbestos.
- Served as Florida statewide litigation counsel for asbestos-related products manufacturers (steel making and refractory materials; building products; valve, turbine, pump, and marine equipment; friction products) handling hundreds of products liability asbestos-related personal injury and wrongful death cases.
- Representation of a major brokerage company in defense of state and federal ADEA/FCRA, FMLA, wrongful termination, and breach of employment contract claims.
- Representation of a major valve manufacturer in defense of products liability wrongful death actions.
- Representation of a design professional in sea wall collapse/construction case.
- Representation of surety companies in major construction default and bankruptcy workout cases.
- Representation of a regional bank in multi-million dollar check-kiting fraud case.
- Representation of an engineering firm in suit for in excess of $5 million in damages for alleged breach of employment contracts and non-compete agreements and theft of trade secrets involving the design and construction of air traffic control towers.
- Representation of an engineering design firm in multiple wrongful death suits alleging negligent highway design.
- Representation of a major aircraft ground support service company in numerous ADEA/FLSA/Title VII discrimination suits.
- Representation of a trustee in defective CRUT/federal income tax liability suit.
- Representation of national toxicology laboratory in Non-Compete, Trade Secret and Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices litigation in Florida and Nevada.
- Representation of a major fan manufacturer in multi-location fire loss products liability/indemnity suit.
- Doctor of Law (J.D.) – 1975
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) – 1973; Major: Public Policy Analysis,
- Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation and Risk Management.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Orange County Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court Bar
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association, Tort and Insurance Practice Committee, Member; Litigation Section, Member; Forum Committee on the Construction Industry, Member
- The Florida Bar, Trial Lawyer Section, Member; Client’s Security Fund Committee, Past Member
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Orange County Bar Association, Member;
- Orange County Bar Association Guardian Ad Litem Program for Abused/Neglected Children, Legal Aid Society, 1984 – Present
- The George C. Young First Central Florida American Inn of Court, Member
- Orlando Regional Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Orlando Program, Past Chair; Leadership Orlando Alumni Association, Past President;
- Leadership Central Florida, Past (first) Chair
- Christian Service Center of Central Florida, Inc., Past Secretary/Director
- Women’s/Minority Business Enterprise Certification Board for the City of Orlando, Past Board Member
- Share The Care, Inc., Founding Board Member/Officer 2002 – 2012, “Godfather” for Life
- Quest, Inc., Board Member, 2008 – 2017
Previous Professional Experience
- Fisher Rushmer, P.A., Of Counsel, 2014-2017
- Akerman LLP, Partner, 2003 – 2014
- Morlan & Stovash, P.A., Partner, 1998 – 2003
- Boroughs Bennett Morlan & Simpson, Partner, 1993 – 1998
- Durkin & Morlan, P.A., Partner, 1989 – 1993
- Baker & Hostetler, P.A., Partner, 1981 – 1989
- Sanders, McEwan, Mims & McDonald, Associate, 1976 – 1981
Awards and Honors
- Orange County, FL Bar Association Guardian Ad Litem Award of Excellence, 2014
- NITA – National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Diplomate, 1983
- Martindale-Hubbell’s “AV” Rating