Meet Harold "Hal" Morlan II
Of Counsel / Senior Trial Attorney
Harold E. "Hal" Morlan II, is a civil trial lawyer with over 40 years of experience litigating a wide range of complex civil litigation matters, and trying jury and non-jury cases in state and federal courts throughout Florida. Hal has acted as trial counsel for both individual and corporate clients in such areas as personal injury and wrongful death, products liability, mass toxic torts, breach of contract, construction and lien claims, shareholder disputes, mortgage foreclosures, banking disputes, ad valorem taxation, professional negligence, and employment disputes. Hal often assists clients in risk management and loss-shifting strategies involving issues of insurance, subrogation, warranty, suretyship, indemnification, and contribution.
Hal is intensely focused on innovating pragmatic, cost-effective, customized solutions to clients' complex legal challenges.
University of Florida College of Law
- Doctor of Law (J.D.) - 1975
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) - 1973; Major: Public Policy Analysis,
- Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs
Areas of Practice:
- Business & Commercial Law
- Civil Trial Practice
- Complex Litigation
- Construction Law
- Class Actions
- Deceptive Trade Practices / Unfair Competition
- Defamation & Privacy
- Eminent Domain
- Employment Law
- Federal Trial Practice
- Insurance Law
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability Law
- Professional Malpractice Law
- Property (Ad Valorem) Taxes
- Trade Secrets
- Surety Law
- Toxic Torts / Asbestos.
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation and Risk Management.
- Served as Florida statewide litigation counsel for asbestos-related products manufacturers (steelmaking and refractory materials; building products; valve, turbine, pump, and marine equipment; friction products) handling hundreds of products liability asbestos-related personal injury and wrongful death cases.
- Representation of a major brokerage company in defense of state and federal ADEA/FCRA, FMLA, wrongful termination, and breach of employment contract claims.
- Representation of a major valve manufacturer in defense of products liability wrongful death actions.
- Representation of a design professional in sea wall collapse/construction case.
- Representation of surety companies in major construction default and bankruptcy workout cases.
- Representation of a regional bank in multi-million dollar check-kiting fraud case.
- Representation of an engineering firm in suit for in excess of $5 million in damages for alleged breach of employment contracts and non-compete agreements and theft of trade secrets involving the design and construction of air traffic control towers.
- Representation of an engineering design firm in multiple wrongful death suits alleging negligent highway design.
- Representation of a major aircraft ground support service company in numerous ADEA/FLSA/Title VII discrimination suits.
- Representation of a trustee in defective CRUT/federal income tax liability suit.
- Representation of national toxicology laboratory in Non-Compete, Trade Secret and Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practices litigation in Florida and Nevada.
- Representation of a major fan manufacturer in multi-location fire loss products liability/indemnity suit.
- Florida, 1976
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 1976
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 1981
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida, 1981
- U.S. Tax Court, 1981
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1987
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1980
Awards and Honors:
- Orange County, FL Bar Association Guardian Ad Litem Award of Excellence, 2014
- NITA - National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Diplomate, 1983
- Martindale-Hubbell's "AV" Rating
Previous Professional Experience:
- Fisher Rushmer, P.A., Of Counsel, 2014-2017
- Akerman LLP, Partner, 2003 - 2014
- Morlan & Stovash, P.A., Partner, 1998 - 2003
- Boroughs Bennett Morlan & Simpson, Partner, 1993 - 1998
- Durkin & Morlan, P.A., Partner, 1989 - 1993
- Baker & Hostetler, P.A., Partner, 1981 - 1989
- Sanders, McEwan, Mims & McDonald, Associate, 1976 - 1981
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association, Tort and Insurance Practice Committee, Member; Litigation Section, Member; Forum Committee on the Construction Industry, Member
- The Florida Bar, Trial Lawyer Section, Member; Client’s Security Fund Committee, Past Member
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Orange County Bar Association, Member;
- Orange County Bar Association Guardian Ad Litem Program for Abused/Neglected Children, Legal Aid Society, 1984 - Present
- The George C. Young First Central Florida American Inn of Court, Member
- Orlando Regional Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Orlando Program, Past Chair; Leadership Orlando Alumni Association, Past President;
- Leadership Central Florida, Past (first) Chair
- Christian Service Center of Central Florida, Inc., Past Secretary/Director
- Women’s/Minority Business Enterprise Certification Board for the City of Orlando, Past Board Member
- Share The Care, Inc., Founding Board Member/Officer 2002 – 2012, "Godfather" for Life
- Quest, Inc., Board Member, 2008 - 2017